Gözleme is a typical Turkish savory pastry with a variety of fillings. I ate them many times in many regions of Turkey. I had them for breakfast, lunch or dinner and I always liked them, because they can have so many different stuffing’s.
But it came never in my mind to prepare them by myself, until I read this post about home made Gözleme, on the Australian blog Sad Vegan Girl.
Ingredients (for two persons):
- 2 pieces of Yufka (filo pastry) you can also use puff pastry
The filling (for each gözleme you need about 25 g):
- Fresh spinach
- 2 little onions
- 4 gloves of garlic
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Cut the Yufka dough in 4 squares. You can watch this video (even if you don’t understand it, you can see how Refika is cutting the dough, I did it the same way).
- Wash the spinach, chop the onions and garlic. Heat olive oil in a pan and fry first onion and garlic and then the spinach for some minutes.
- Let the ingredients cool down for some minutes.
- Fill about 25 g of spinach stuffing in the center of the pastry squares and fold all sides to the middle. In the end you should have a square package.
- Heat some olive oil in a pan and fry the Gözleme with high heat for three to four minutes from each side.
You can also prepare other filling, common variants are cheese and potatoes. But basically you can put whatever you want, I also liked the eggplant stuffing, or a sweet version with chocolate or tahini and mulberry molasses.
Which fillings are your favorites? And did you try to prepare Gözleme before?
Tekrar görüşmek üzere