Recently, the real winter has been upon us in Germany with snow and freeze. Walking through the snowy landscape and watching the picturesque scenery is nice, but getting sick in the winter is unpleasant. I didn’t have the flu in years, but last week the flu caught me. Since I didn’t want to use any heavy medicine or antibiotics I tried to find some alternatives. Hydration is important, that’s why my flu fighting essentials are three different healthy & immune busting drinks. Of course you can drink my flu fighting winter drinks also to prevent getting sick!
Hot & Spicy Grapefruit Juice
The hot and spicy grapefruit juice was a totally new thing for me and tasted surprisingly good. I got the idea from the German food blog Gemüseregal and made my own version. The grapefruit and goji berries are excellent sources of vitamin C and they are supporting your immune system! Ginger has many health benefits, it does not only warm you on a cold day it also boosts your immune system.
- 1 grapefruit
- 1 teaspoon finely grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon goji berries
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
- Juice the grapefruit and heat the juice slowly in a small pot.
- Grate the ginger and add the ginger, goji berries and cinnamon to the juice.
- Heat the juice for some minutes, but don’t cook it and enjoy.
Golden Turmeric Milk
The golden turmeric milk is a drink used in the tradition of Ayurveda for healing and cleansing. It’s a healthy and delicious drink, can be compared to a spicy version of Chai Latte. The turmeric and other ingredients have many health benefits like anti-inflammatory, antioxidant. They provide vitamin C, K, E, calcium, copper, iron, magnesium and zinc.
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 120 ml water
- 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger, finely grated
- 2 teaspoons agave syrup
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 350 ml soy milk (or another plant milk)
- Add the turmeric and water to a small pot, stir well and heat. Meanwhile grate the ginger and add it to the turmeric mixture. Heat and stir until the turmeric and water become a thick and creamy paste.
- Heat the soy milk in a pot and add 1 – 2 teaspoons of the turmeric paste, the agave syrup, cinnamon and the coconut oil. Stir well, cook on low heat for about two minutes and enjoy.
Ginger Lemon Tea
Ginger lemon tea is my absolute classic recipe to fight a flu and prevent it! Lemons have a high amount of vitamin C and minerals, which are supportive for the immune system.
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3 -4 big slices of ginger
- 4 teaspoons agave syrup (or sweeten to taste)
- 300 ml water
- optional: fresh turmeric, goji berries
- Add the lemon juice, ginger, agave syrup to a glass.
- Heat water and add it to the glass. If you would like you can also add fresh turmeric or goji berries for a new flavor.
Enjoy the recipes and get well soon!