Today I want to share a new recipe with you, that I published on my friends blog “gesunde Einhörner essen Regenbogenblumen” in German, but never on my own blog. It is a Turkish recipe from the region of Mersin for a delicious and sweet snack called ‘cezerye’. It’s taste is similar to Turkish delight but the main ingredient are carrots. These carrot bars tastes best with a glass of Turkish tea as an afternoon delight.
Ingredients (yields about 30 pieces):
- 3 big carrots, finely grated
- 120 ml water
- 200 gr sugar
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
- 1 pinch of ground clove
- 1 pinch of ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons chopped nuts (pistachios or walnuts)
- 5 tablespoons coconut shreds
- Peel and grate the carrots. Fill a small pot with water 120 ml and add the water and carrots. Cook them for about 20 minutes, with closed lit and stir occasionally.
- Then add the spices, sugar and lemon juice and continue the cooking on low to medium heat, but without the lit and stir often.
- After 45 minutes a sticky paste should have developed. If not, continue cooking until the water is gone and the carrot paste has the right consistency.
- Take the pot from the stove and add the chopped nuts in.
- Pour the paste on a baking sheet and spread flat. When it is cooled down cut the carrot paste into small squares. If the paste is too sticky to cut, put it in the fridge and try cutting again.
- Coat the carrot squares in the shredded coconut and serve with a black tea.
I hope you enjoyed this new and unique recipe. I think it’s a great homemade sweet, which is vegan and gluten free. It is great if you want to surprise your guests with a new and delicious treat.